Prague Quadrennial 2015
18 June 2015 at 14:00
Download Complete Meeting Minutes
||Allan Tsui Shek Pang*
||Rolando de Leon
||Louis Janssen, president
||Claudia de Bem
||Sofia Pantouvaki ^
||Henk van der Geest*
||Hym Sook Kim
||Thomas C. Umfrid
||Inés de Carvalho
||Wang Zhuo Yun
||Peter Ruthven Hall
||José Luis Ferrera^
||Piroska e Kiss
* - voting delegate ^ - individual member (reduced vote)
- Reija called the meeting to order, introduced herself
- Introduction of attendees
- Reija welcomed all and offered thanks to the PQ and Sodja Lotker for the free meeting space to the commission.
- Introduction of the agenda and Rob Eastman-Mullins was chosen as the secretary. The agenda was approved.
- Choosing two election committee members
- Simona Rybáková and Henk van der Geest were chosen by verbal vote.
- Minutes from the São Paulo meeting are available on the OISTAT website.
Business from old minutes
Performance Design Commission’s Era under Reija
- elected chair in 2006 and started her tenure in 2009
- Reija recapped what Performance Design is under OISTAT
- “Designing is thinking”
- Four Working Groups under Performance Design Commission
- Space Design Working Group
- This new working group provides a forum for performance designers interested in spatial thinking . . .
- Brief history of PQ and OISTAT, OISTAT’s organizational structure
- Past Chairs of Performance Design (Reija, first woman in position)
- What has PDC done?: Meetings, Presentations, Forums, Symposiums, Workshops, and PechaKuchas for designers and students who design performances
- Who are we?: OISTAT online gallery (always accepting submissions), a visual representation of who we are rather than just a list of names
- Where have we been?: PQ2011, Las Vegas, Shanghai, Cardiff (WSD2013), São Paulo
- Reija thanks the membership for her time as Chair and the memories
Reports from Working Group Chairs
Costume Design WG (Lise Klitten)
- very active group
- voting for a new Head to take place in Prague
- Moscow exhibition open right now
Sound Design WG (Joe Pino)
- mentorship program launched in February; 6 people applied
- program not just for students
- plans for Taipei
Lighting Design WG
(Henk van der Geest—Heads Nick Moran & Kimmo Karjunen unable to attend)
- want to create a web page to connect students with lighting design professionals
- do we need to think differently about color in the age of LEDs
- lightingschool.eu has a program at PQ; a meeting place for lighting people
- launch of a book, The Art of Light On Stage by Yaron Abulafia (Routledge)
- WSD 2017 reception, Friday June 19th, 6p, Jalta Boutique Hotel, Mucha Room.
Election of New Commission Chair
- Candidate Marketa Fantova (USA/Czech Republic) gave her election speech
- Introduced herself
- No intention of changing what the Commission is or what it is called.
- Wants to continue the work being done already before any changes
- Wants to establish a vision for the Commission
- Eligible voting delegates from the Centres were identified and ballots were issued (Wan-Jung Wei from Headquarters and Miljana Zekovic from OISTAT EC acted as election officers).
- There was a dispute regarding Spain having two OISTAT Centres , both with voting rights. It was confirmed by Louis that one vote was to be cast as an Individual Ballot
- Marketa was elected as the chair of the commission for the years 2015 – 2019 in a unanimous vote.
Date of next meeting of Commission
- Tentatively set for 14-19 March 2016, USITT; Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- Reija appealed to the attendees for new invitations for PD Commission meetings
- 2017, WSD 2017, Taiwan, Taipei
- Philippines attendee offered an invitation, November 21-25
- Announcement of Breakfast with Reija at PQ
- Announcement: Serbian Radical Space in Between Disciplines Conference, September 21-23, 2015
- A 15 minute recess was called with discussion of the new Space Design Working Group and Costume Design Group to follow.
Reija adjourned the meeting.